Papuloerythroderma of Ofuji: A first case report from Indonesia
Papuloerythroderma (PE) is a rare skin disease which was first described by Ofuji et al. in 1984, with a typical sign that the lesions spare the large cutaneous folds, known as the deck chair sign. Due to its recent identification, this disease is still underrecognized and may lead to misdiagnosis. We reported the first case report of PE of Ofuji from Indonesia in which the diagnosis was delayed for two years. Besides the deck chair sign in the large cutaneous fold, we also found that the area between and above his eyebrows that was relatively spared in contrast to the sparing of the cutaneous folds, and it may be considered as pseudo-deck chair sign. The patient showed good response with combination therapy of phototherapy with Narrow-Band Ultraviolet B (NBUVB), oral methotrexate, and corticosteroids. The deck chair sign disappeared after six months therapy, but the patient’s skin was still xerotic.
Keywords: Papuloerythroderma of Ofuji, deck chair sign, pseudo-deck chair sign
1. Ofuji S, Furukawa F, Miyachi Y, et al. Papuloerythroderma. Dermatologica. 1984;169:125-30.
2. Mathew M, Nayal B, Unni RN, et al. Papuloerythroderma of Ofuji in a young adult. J Interdiscipl Histopathol. 2014;2:38-40.
3. Pereiro Jr M, Sanchez-Aguilar D, Ferreiros MMP, et al. Cutanous T-cell lymphoma: an expression of papuloerythroderma of Ofuji. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2003;17:227-49.
4. Torchia D, Miteva M, Hu S, et al. Papuloerythroderma 2009: two new cases and systematic review of the worldwide literature 25 years after its identification by Ofuji et al. Dermatology. 2010;220:311-20.
5. Hassan I, Ahmad M, Manaan Q, et al. Papuloerythroderma of Ofuji – a case report. J Pak Assoc Derma. 2013;23:103-5.
6. Bech-Thomsen N, Thomsen K. Ofuji’s papuloerythroderma: a study of 17 cases. Clin Exp Dermatol. 1998;23:79-83.
7. Bettoli V, Pizzigoni S, Borghi A, et al. Ofuji papulo-erythroderma: a reappraisal of the deck-chair sign. Dermatology. 2004;209:1-4.
8. Okoduwa C, Lambert WC, Schwartz RA, Kubeyinje E, Etiokpah A, Sinha S, et al. Erythroderma: review of potentially life-threathening dermatosis. Indian J Dermatol. 2009;54:1-6.